Saturday 20 September 2008

Bianco Nero, Hammersmith - Review

Bianco Nero has been tempting me with its modern Italian menu for months. Finally, I had an opportunity to have dinner there and I simply cannot say enough good things about it!

When I booked the table, it was lunch time and the restaurant was PACKED with a fairly rowdy crowd local office types. My booking was actually interrupted by someone wishing to give the manager 'feedback' (oh dear, we all know what that means) and he proceeded to complain about the speed of service, etc. etc. I stood firm, acknowledged the manager's profuse apologies and decided I would contiue with my reservation - I will try most places once!

When I went back it was a Friday evening and the black and white restaurant (hence the name) was atmospheric and inviting. The menus were very attractive and the tableware was clean and luxurious. The waiters were attentive - even bringing a napkin over to wipe up a drip of wine and another drip of olive oil - and there were enough parties throughout our meal for the restaurant to have a bit of buzz, whilst being far from noisey/crowded.

A welcome 'novelty' for London restaurants was the complimentary basket of breads, served with a delicious olive oil. I followed this with a starter of mozzarella and tomato - an Italian classic and perfectly sized. The grilled seabass served with strips of courgette and cherry tomatoes was delicous and perfectly seasoned and one of the best pieces of seabass I've ever had. A trio of fruit sorbets rounded off the meal (lemon, mango and raspberry) and they were again, amongst the best sorbets I've eaten. A bottle of smooth yet robust Chianti accompanied our meal and the waiters were attentive at keeping our glasses topped up without being annoying about it, and keeping the bottle off the table was also a nice touch.

If I were to make one very small criticism, it would be that there was only one ladies toilet. Not a problem on my visit but when the restaurant is full, I can understand why a line of chairs was provided outside the restroom!

I can't really say anything more about Bianco Nero, I even found the pricing reasonable for a London restaurant of its quality. I will definitely be going back and happy to recommend it to all - and when it comes to this sort of Italian cuisine, I can be quite a tricky customer to please. 8/10!

www.bianconerorestaurants.com

No comments: